Sunday, April 1, 2012

Around Australia in 80 days?


Today I started again from Australia. I don't know if I'm gonna make it around Australia in less than 80 days, but for sure I could tick off two more legs and approx 300nm distance counterclockwise around Australia.


First leg very short with 125nm from Canberra to Sidney was like non-stop tuning and steering the airplane. For this leg I had around 35mins time. So you can imagine that from take-off into climb, reaching T/C and starting decent into approach phase and following ATC into final and touch-down there is no pause longer then 30secs where there isn't anything to do. However, thanks to the great help of the autopilot I also made this one a successful vl-flight. 


Unfortunately short after touch-down and taxiing back to holding point I crashed into a building. I used top-view sight (F12 on FSX) and I was not aware of that hangar building on the left. And you know that DC-10 is quite a large aircraft. So somehow I must have touched this building with my left wing which of course caused FSX to hold and put me back in the multiplayer lobby. Fortunately the HHG-server allows you to restart and spawn at the same position without losing vl or points (of course 50 points are gone because of the crash). So all I lost were some minutes for reloading - which I had according to the flight plan - when ATC gave clearance for the next leg and made me roll to holding point and line up. Again Murphy was on the plane as well, so due to a flock of birds blocking the runway I had to wait some minutes. I got more and more nervous because I knew that the next leg with again just 40 minutes (169nm) was very short and for such legs usually every minute counts. In addition to that I saw that the rwy heading was more or less exactly the opposite direction of my next destination Tamworth (YSTW). After some very very long minutes finally ATC came back and gave clearance for take off. As I had prepared everything for that I could just engage my three engines and make a quick start. Clock was against me, I saw that ETE and ETA from Flight plan were only a few minutes away from each other. Normally I try to have a delta of 20mins which allows you to follow ATC without rushing and with obeing all local rules. This time I had to fly extremely on the limit of what is usually allowed (things like max speed of 250kt below FL100 etc.). Finally I was lucky and I rushed onto the runway in the very last moment. Bot gave the full points including 50% ATC bonus. Fortunately again this was my last leg for this day so I was glad to cancel the remaining flight plan and not having to fly behind schedule :-)


PT

No comments:

Post a Comment