Wednesday, April 4, 2012

FSX reborn


or: ...how do you bring your FSX eperience to the next level
or: ...solution to the math term: FSX + i7 * 16 * 4096 + 27" + LT/3Dpro + CHX + 737NGX


Yesterday my birthday series continued (see also recent blog); I decided to buy a new PC with the latest hardware but within a reasonable budget. For the past almost 15 years I was evaluating new pc hardware and about all 4-5 years I buy a new pc. This time again it was fantastic to see what you actually get for the money. My first PC I bought was one of the compaq 386 series and it cost me around 4500 CHF. Yesterday I bought a system for about a third of that price, but including a 27" screen, the latest i7-processor, AMD Radeon graphic card HD7700 incl. 1024GB Mem, 128GB SSD HD, 2TB HDD, and 16GB RAM from Acer - G3 Predator series. I installed the power pack right away and loaded all important programs and addons including Scenery Switzerland and PMDG 737-NGX onto the SSD memory (which offers incredible fast access and amazing nice startup time). To interact with the FSX I recently changed my joystick to Logitech 3D pro version. 


I can tell you playing FSX on a 27" screen with such speedy machine, fantastic frame rates, no jerking at all and all parameters on 100% gives you a feeling of reality which is almost unbeatable. Just breathtaking.
I don't want to advertise for the hardware industry, but if you really want to go on a next level with flight simulation it is really well worth to invest a couple of hundred bucks in a new system. I can only recommend it.


My first experience by the way was the tutorial flight with the PMDG 737 NGX from London Gatwick EGKK to Amsterdam Shipol EHAM. Using FMC this nice plane allows you to almost automatically fly from A to B including the fantastic autoland function. So after take off you really tend to lean back and enjoy your trip (which is of course not the case as there's still a lot of buttons to change during a flight). Of course the next step will then be using radio and following ATC rules and guidelines. Also not speaking about emergency situations or e.g. bad weather conditions :-) But again - the challenge continues - you agree?  :-))


Have fun and enjoy your real and virtual life!
Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment