Friday, March 30, 2012

Pimp my FSX


Today was advanced birthday for me; my father made me two very very nice presents. First I got the FSX scenery package for Switzerland, my home country. Second I got the PMDG Version of the 737-NGX which changed my virtual life in FSX dramatically.


FSX Switzerland is just breathtaking! You just cannot believe how realistic Switzerland looks like using this wonderful package. Of course not 100% details are simulated, but the realism is absolutely fantastic. And you can imagine that flying through the swiss alps - which anyway is already awesome - is now even more fun. So I installed the whole package (4 DVD's!) and made a few circuits on one of the airports close to where I live (LSZK - Speck Fehraltorf). Furthermore I also did a circuit staring in Buochs (LSZC) which was recommended to my because this circuit is actually leading around a mountain rig. All in all very impressive and I can only recommend to install or use similar scenery. It makes the flight simulation experience absolutely stunning!


The next big task was to install and startup the PMDG 737-NGX. As I never had a valid pilot license nor any real IFR-flying experience the first tutorial was very complicated to me. However, as I had the chance last summer to fly once in a real cockpit from Zurich (LSZH) to Fuerte Ventura (GCFV) - thanks a lot Edelweiss Air!!! - things looked still quite familiar. Also about two years ago I was invited to fly at Swiss Aviation Training with one of the Airbus A340-Simulators. Of course at that time the FS instructor did all the small manipulations and I could concentrate on flying. But again from there some of the procedures I could recollect. The view in the cockpit is just overwhealming and I absolutely believe all reviews of this FSX-addon that this package is close to reality. Programming the FMS with the planned flight route and all flying parameters adds another very interesting dimension to the flight simulation. 


In the first session I managed to program a nice route from Geneva (LSGG) to Zurich (LSZH) and I could take off according to entered parameters. Unfortunately I did not have time to continue and somehow I also did not manage to engage the autopilot. But hey, there's a challenge to continue and I'm very excited to learn more and to continue working hard on that new machine!


Keep on rocking!
PT

No comments:

Post a Comment