Monday, March 26, 2012

Welcome to New Zealand - Wellington

Originally I planned to land first in Christchurch, as that destination would have been a little closer to Melbourne than Wellington. Unfortunately the bot did not find NZCH so I shortly decided to take a detour and land in Christchurch (NZCH) first. As this leg anyway is longer than 1300nm +/- 100nm also does not make a big difference. 
So I filled the tanks and took off in Melbourne (YMML). Still during night, eventhough also Melbourne is quite a large city and therefore shines quite bright through the dark. Short after departure I came accross the coastline and from there around 2.5 hours I flew over Water. The nicest thing about this trip is that it goes more or less heading East and therefore in direction of the sun. So after 1 hour the horizon started to turn into a fantastic play of light short before the sun actually rose out of the ocean. Very enlightening and a wonderful experience. I hope my passengers felt the same :)


Regarding HHG activity: unfortunately again the bot seems not very well organized for New Zealand or Australia. So the first time asking for the status I received 218mins left, so ETA calculated was 11:18pm (CET). Next time I asked the new calculated ETA was 11:15, then 11:38,  and the last time I asked 11:44pm. So finally I did not really know what to do, but decided to take the first calculated ETA as the one needed to fulfill the job. This assumption turned out to be just right. So take this as a tipp: take the first status time reported as basis for ETA. Do not rely on any further status updates. - Finally made my day with +400 points - very nice...


Maori ahoi, 
PT






turning downwind at NZWN





No comments:

Post a Comment