Saturday, May 12, 2012

Clouds + Mountains + Night = Sweat


Above formula is more or less the best summary of the last trip I did. You can imagine the hilly, or better said mountaneous region of Alaska coupled with clouds with basis at around 3500 feet a.s.l. can be quite hard if you're not familiar with the geography. So this leg was specially difficult as I knew that bot/ATC does not really take care about that. So even if there's mountains with hights of 6000-8000 feet around bot/ATC will still give you downwind or base altitude clearance of 4000 feet (of course this will be different in a real flight). You can imagine that this might cause some challenges - especially when these mountains are covered in white fog.
So from Juneau the trip went to Wrangell PAWG in the south of Alaska. I can tell you eventhough I was sitting in my office chair in a well-temperatured room in my apartment I got some sweat-drops around my upper head when I touched ground. This also shows how realistic the FSX with a nice and fast computer with a large screen can be :-)


Happy sweating :)
PT









No comments:

Post a Comment